Thursday 12 October 2017

Updating the netbook

It's been a few months since I've given the netbook a decent workout.    These days, when we travel domestically, I take my normal laptop.   However, I thought I ought to take my relatively elderly netbook to India:  it's more compact and, frankly, it wouldn't be a disaster if it came to grief while we were away. It's track record has been quite good, and I've used it on previous overseas trips, including to Fiji late last year.

But the issue is that in the last few months there have been some big upgrades, especially to Windows 10 (the "Creators Upgrade"), as well. the usual updates to the anti-virus software and email and word processing programs.

It's just as well I started using the netbook a few days before leaving.   Each time I powered off, there was a message "Getting Windows Ready, Don't Turn Off Your Computer".  I lost track of how many times this happened!   And on at least one occasion, it seemed to last a very long time, so I concluded that it must have frozen.

But I was patient and gave it time to do all these things.
However, even when all seemed to be done, the netbook was still really, really slow. I can only conclude that it it just now doesn't have the grunt required by modern programs.

Hence, this will be the last trip with my up-till-now trusty netbook.    I hope it can cope with this blog while we're away.    When we return, I'll turn my mind to a more modern device, perhaps a tablet.

No comments:

Post a Comment