Sunday 22 October 2017

Last day in India

Our flight leaves late in the evening, so we have "day use" of the hotel room before the transfer to the airport.   There seemed to be some shopping fairly close to the hotel, so I went for a walk after breakfast to explore the possibilities.  I located a couple of "plazas", but at about 9.30 am on a Sunday morning, things were pretty dead.   However later in the day things were more active but for the most part the shops (all very small) in these complexes clearly cater for the locals (this is a middle to upper range residential area, including several gated communities) and so had little to interest us.  Nevertheless, it was worthwhile making the effort to get out and about.

Shopping complex
In the meantime, perhaps some reflections are in order.   First, we took medical advice as to vaccinations and the like before coming to India, and either they've been effective or the care we've taken with what we've eaten and so on has paid off.   But we weren't warned about the biggest health danger, at least in the Delhi area:   it's the pollution, and the respiratory issues that result from it.    I've never before felt effects of this nature, but it's getting even to me.   Maybe instead of saying "don't drink the water", the advice should be "don't breathe the air"?  (Just joking).


 Secondly, changing money.    I've got a debit account that gives me a good exchange rate, so where possible when travelling I like to use ATMs.    I didn't do this in Thailand, however, because my research showed the ATMs all charge a relatively high fee and the money changers are very competitive.   In India, although there are money changers around, they aren't everywhere (perhaps foreign tourists are more widely dissipated here).    So I sought out the ATMs, which are fairly widespread (not everywhere, though).  The one I found near Connaught Place worked.    But after that I tried a number but - nope!   I suspect that they had all been "drained" for the Diwali holiday!

And just a random thought about electrical safety.   All the hotels we've stayed in have been very nice, but in at least a couple of places, a glance around the corner has revealed some "interesting" electical arrangements!   Still, given the wiring arrangements out on the streets, perhaps I ought not be surprised.
Connection to light in cupboard!
Hairdryer lead!

[Post updated 22 Oct 17]

No comments:

Post a Comment